Mark Rants & Raves

Digressions into a variety of topics about the world.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

State of Fear and Global Warming

Let me start out by saying that I am trying to have a reasonable, intelligent, well-thought-0ut discussion about global warming. I am not advocating either side, so please no flames or tirades. That said...

I recently read "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton. I admit that it was a very enjoyable read, including the added material after the body of the book. Crichton obviously did a lot of research (supposedly for two years) for this book. And he has compelling arguments supported by scientific references.

I know that a lot of environmental groups have written counter-arguments because of the book. This makes sense, since Crichton refutes the claims of these groups. Crichton makes the argument that global warming is a religious movement, meaning it is faith-based rather than fact-based. I hadn't really thought of it (or other topics) in this way, but it makes sense to me.

Now, I don't claim to be an expert in this area, but I am trying to educate myself enough to speak intelligently on this topic. And I want to discuss it based on reality, facts, peer-reviewed science, ... So, some questions for those more knowledgeable than me:
  • Without using any future projections (i.e. guesses), what proof is there that CO2 or other human changes have led to long-term temperature rises on earth? I'm talking about overall, with localized affects like warming in big cities due to lots of asphalt, taken into account.
  • Given that Antarctica is getting colder with resulting thicker ice, how does "global warming" explain this?
  • How is "global warming" different than cyclical temperature changes that have occurred before?
I'll leave it at that for now. I know that is a plethora of other items we could discuss, but lets start with this. Again, replies should include peer-reviewed scientific evidence. Posts with unsupported claims will be ignored. That said, replies are welcome and encouraged.

Mark

Labels: , , ,


1 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I am becoming more and more convinced that it is just a natural swing in the earth's temperature and that the hysteria is politically-based (want to stop drilling in the arctic wildlife refuge? GLOBAL WARMING, DAMN OIL COMPANIES; want to get accolades and political power Al Gore? GLOBAL WARMING; want to put your finger in the bad ole USA's eye U.N.? GLOBAL WARMING, WHY DON"T YOU AMERICANS JOIN KYOTO?!).

Are you a believer? How about reading this:

"During the past 2 years, more than 17,100 basic and applied American scientists, two-thirds with advanced degrees, have signed the Global Warming Petition."

These are some of the experts that dispute the claim that "greenhouse gases" or any other human cause is effecting the earth's temperature.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home